Chrome Pointer

Monday, January 27, 2014

Running Through My Head

While perusing the Quora website I came across this question: "What is it like to participate in a triathlon?"  Most of the answers discussed things like what to bring, how hectic it can be, and advice on how to tackle the different aspects of the race, but the top answer was much different.  In it the guy gave a 14 point breakdown on what one may be thinking during a triathlon.  It was both accurate and comical.  I decided to share his list with you and include my own commentary.




The 14 Stages of Triathlon on Race Day


1. I can't believe I'm going to do this.  I need to pee.

It doesn't matter if you used the bathroom 10 minutes before.  You'll still feel like you need to pee.

2. I can't - **smack** - believe - **thwack** - I'm doing - **slap** - this.

I usually question my sanity when I'm floating in the water waiting for the gun to go off.


3. That swim wasn't as hard as I thought.  I feel good.

If you always expect the worst then you'll usually be pleasantly surprised.


4. This is easy.

Enjoy it while you can, it doesn't take long to learn the error of your ways.

5. This is tiring.

This is around the time that everything little thing starts to irritate you.  ie. That incessant sound your bike makes in the wind.

6. Get me off this bike.

No matter how much you ride, eventually your butt will hurt, it's inevitable.


7. My legs feel funny.

"Funny" feelings are typically precursors to feelings of pain and anguish.


8. My legs feel tired.

Sometimes other parts of your body are tired too.


9. Make the bad man stop.

There is usually one point in every race that I tell myself I'm never doing another triathlon.


10. I can do this.

Soon after I hit rock bottom I remember Macca's saying, "Embrace the suck."


11. This is amazing.

I think this is the point that your body starts to release some sort of addicting natural drug into your veins.


12. I love this.

During the last mile all the discomfort magically disappears and you can suddenly sprint again.  It's weird.


13. That was the best feeling ever.

Could be the joy of the race you're feeling or the joy of stopping you're feeling.  The studies are inconclusive.


14. Where do I sign up for my next one.

Best, idea, ever... of all time.




No comments: